Let’s say for instance you have some left over beef from a roast dinner or another dish that requires small cuts of beef, and you also need to use up some eggs before their consumable date expires. Almost everyone has rice, chilli powder and soy sauce in their kitchen storage; so the only ingredients you may have to go to the supermarket for Chilli Beef Egg Fried Rice is a few easily obtainable, cheap vegetables. Best part is that it only takes 20 minutes to prepare!
- Stewing/braising beef
- 2 free range eggs
- Half of a white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Spring/green onions
- Half of a red or yellow bell pepper
- A white rice of your choice
- Canola oil
- Red Chilli powder
- Low in salt soy sauce
- Sesame oil
Recipe (serves 2):
- Begin to boil or steam your selected white rice. Use a cup measurer to scoop enough grains: 2 cups to share between two people.
- In a wok or deep frying pan drizzle some canola oil. Allow to heat for a minute or so over a medium flame.
- Crack both of the eggs into the cooking oil. With a spatula scramble the eggs so that the white of the egg and the yolk form together into rolled up pieces.
- After a couple of minutes add half of a diced white onion, 1 crushed and finely chopped garlic clove and a handful of spring/green onion ringlets. Stir thoroughly.
- Cut the beef into thin strips, approximately 3cm in length and a centimetre in thickness. Add this to the eggs, onions, and garlic.
- Combine one tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of red chilli powder to the wok/pan. Stir well ensuring all of the meat and vegetables are well coated in the powder and oils.
- Scatter some pieces of red or yellow bell pepper into the other ingredients; you can chop these into similar sized pieces as the beef or smaller. The sweetness of a yellow pepper will counteract some of the spiciness of the chilli.
- Stir at frequent intervals.
- Shake a pinch of black pepper into the dish. If you want to add beef or vegetable stock powder, now is the time to do so.
- Pour in 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce, it should be salty without overpowering the chilli. Keep stiring.
- Directly after adding the soy sauce lower the heat once again.
- Your rice should be ready to fry into the other ingredients. Literally mix the rice with the beef and vegetables. The rice should take on the same orange/red tint with no visable white grains.
- Fry for two minutes, tossing the rice in the wok stops it from sticking.
- The dish will be complete in a total cooking time of 20 minutes.